Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lou Reed's doowop, John Cale's secret, the Gutenberg project , Sumerian poetry

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments.


I know many of you are Velvet Underground fans, as am I. Here are clips of Lou Reed and John Cale in their pre-VU days.

From 1958, here is a pretty good - and well known to collectors - recording of "So Blue" by the Jades. Lou Reed wrote, played guitar, and sang background on this, though you can't distinguish his voice.



The great John Cale, amazingly enough, appeared on the quiz show "I've Got a Secret" in 1963 re his participation in an 18 hour 40 minute piano performance of Eric Satie's "Vexations". Joshua Rifkin, who was a major player in the revival of interest in Scott Joplin's music in the 1970's,was another one of the pianists.




I love the Gutenberg Project. Sometimes I will browse through the intriguing book titles, well over 99% of which I'll never read. It reminds me of times I'd be in a large academic library, and randomly walk over to a shelf, close my eyes, pull out a book and browse through it. And I wonder why I frequently failed to get work done.

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/

The worlds oldest known love poem is over 4,000 years old and from Sumeria. Here it is.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caner/314998602/

The album cover of the day is:

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjOsHOmA4WhdKu6bZfo9oEj8vRWpHnQTP9oKkqMtfgRjw_e-2FKe1oaM-AOhfr6ax-k8KNPLEIAABzKQ-L-ArlFCIninC0qgcXxZO9jWhugRcAfuQR55Cq_mfRSjs8Rva8jlvTWpTyLxfs/s1600-h/album+153.jpg

2 comments: